Tax Checklist

Income Details

 Employment income (T4)
 Employment insurance benefits (T4E)
 Pension income (T4A, T4A(P), T4RSP, T4RIF)
 U.S. social security & any foreign pensions
 Old age security (T4OAS)
 Investment income (T5)
 Income from trusts such as mutual investments (T3)
 Income from partnerships (T5013)
 Universal Child Care Benefit (RC62)
 Social assistance payments (T5007)
 Workers’ compensation/social assistance payments (T5007)
 Details of the sale of securities such as stocks & bonds (T5008)
 Details of real estate sales & purchases
 Income from foreign investments
 Spousal support payments received
 T4As for any miscellaneous income received during the year
 T4PS (profit sharing)

Deductions – General

 RRSP contributions
 Professional dues & insurance, union dues
 Medical, dental, prescription drugs, nursing home expenses
 Payments to a private health insurance plan
 Public transit passes
 Charitable donations
 Political contributions
 Child care receipts (if for camp, list dates attended)
 Children’s participation in programs related to physical activity & arts
 Non-reimbursed moving expenses if you moved 40 km or closer to a new work location
 Interest paid on student loans
 Interest on loans assumed to purchase investments
 Professional consultant fees
 Legal fees paid to establish child or spousal support or to enforce a pre-existing agreement
 Legal fees paid to recover wages from your employer
 Details of the people you support & their medical status
 Office-in-home expenses
 Exams for professional certification
 Tuition fees/education amount (T2202A for Canadian & TL11 for foreign universities)
 Property taxes or residential rent paid & to whom
 Ontario health home renovation costs incurred by those 65 or older
 Political contributions receipts
 Disability tax credit claim form completed by authorized health practitioner (T2201)
 Spousal support payments paid
 Adoption expenses

Deductions – Employees

 Trades people & apprentice tool purchases, if eligible
 Declaration of conditions of employment form (T2200)
 TL2 meals & lodging for transportation employees
 Expenses not reimbursed by your employer
 Office rent if required as a condition of employment
 Home office expenses
 Commissioned salesperson – details for advertising, promotion, meals & entertainment

Deductions – Motor Vehicles, If Eligible

 Total kilometers driven & kilometers driven just for work
 Details of total expenses
 New vehicle, purchase invoice/agreement

Unincorporated Businesses

 Total sales revenue or receipts for the year
 Total expenses listed by category or receipts for the year
 Capital assets acquired (eg., computers & peripherals, furniture & equipment)
 Home office expenses
 Partners’ names, addresses, SINs & percent interest

Rental Properties

 Address & number of units
 Rental income by unit
 Rental expenses by unit & by category of expense
 Partners’ names, addresses, SINs & percent interest
 Details of any capital additions over $500, including furnishings & appliances

Other Documentation

 Copy of last year’s tax return
 Copy of spouse’s tax return
 Last year’s notice of assessment
 Personal status such as dates of marriage, separation, divorce or widowed, births & deaths
 Names & SIN of spouse & dependents
 Notes consenting to provide your income tax information to Elections Canada
 Installment payments made, if any
 Repayments under the Home Buyers’ Plan
 Details of foreign property holdings (if any) (T1135)
 Direct deposit information, if desired or bank changed